I’ve always wanted to purchase fabric from Spoonflower because they have so many incredible, bright designs that feel really unique and playful! Especially now that it’s summer I thought this would be the perfect time to sew a fun jumpsuit!

Choosing the pattern

The other day I may have gone a little crazy in the McCalls and Butterick online sale and bought a total of 6 patterns in one go! Among these beauties, I decided to have a go at sewing the Butterick B6760 pattern which is a dress and jumpsuit style that has bodice waist ties to hold everything together. I fell in love straight away with the style lines of this pattern and anything with v neck I’m a sucker for!

Choosing the fabric

I wanted to try using a fabric that a little more weight to it and would be sturdy enough to hold it’s shape for the ties and shorts. Then I remembered this gorgeous Spoonflower fabric in my stash and knew it was perfect for this project. I purchased 3 metres of their Petal Signature Cotton in the ‘Retro Pink and Orange Floral’ design. When I received this in the post, I was shocked at just how bright and vibrant the colours are in person! I have already washed this once and can confirm they have not dulled or faded and the quality feels really great. I would say their Petal Signature Cotton is definitely more medium weight and has a good sturdiness to it – there is not really any drape for this particular fabric so be mindful when choosing a pattern to sew with!


I found the sizing to be incredibly confusing for the Butterick pattern as the size chart put me into a size 14, which usually I am a size 8/10. Because this fabric really doesn’t have any sort of stretch, I wanted to make sure that I wouldn’t sew anything too small. The top half of the jumpsuit was really loose once I had assembled the bodice, so I ended up taking 1.5” off both side seams and taking it in on the princess seams in the front bodice. The bottoms however fit me pretty well but I did take out 0.75” off both back darts in the shorts. So for future I will probably need to grade a size 10 top down to a size 12 hips. I also took off 4” off the hem of the shorts to make them fit my proportions better.

I would say that in hindsight, I should have used a better lining fabric for the pockets of this jumpsuit as I had to sew through quite a few layers in the shorts and my machine was not loving it!. Other than that, I found the construction of this jumpsuit really simple and easy to follow – the zip in the back of the shorts went in so well, so I’m really happy with how that had turned out! This fabric was so great to cut out and sew with, I think next time I hope to order a fabric with a little more drape and fluidity and make a gorgeous flowy dress! I’ve already got another Spoonflower fabric in my stash that is the same fabric base but with a different design – so keep tuned for what that will turn into!

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop